Monday, August 29, 2011

...JuSt Us GirLS ChaLLeNge...

Challenge #99 was to make a BaCk To ScHoOL  item that was 3-D...

I LoVe 3d items...sooooo fun!!!

I also linked this to the Allsorts Challenge Blog and the Wee Memories Challenge since they had a BaCk to ScHOoL challenge as well....  :)


I used the new Papertrey favor die which Nicole Heady used for Halloweenie goodies...I'm sure I'll have to try that too!!...but a spider isn't very back to school...at least I hope NOT!!!

So, I turned it into an apple!  I cut one of the dies from paper and just trimmed it down a little to use as a template for the apple center, then traced it onto felt and cut it out.  I still used the felt like Nicole Heady did on her blog but I cut off the handles that were on the front and back and added a ribbon handle to the middle instead...The apple stem and leaf fit better that way. i just free hand stitched the seeds on.  Next time I would use small pieces of brown felt instead.

A gift card fits inside perfectly...I should have made a cute envelope to hold the gift card, but I was so excited to post this that I didn't wait :)


I used a glue gun to assemble and I did learn a few other things for next time...I would use a paper layer too, adhering the felt to the paper.  The box portion (where the gc sits) is just a little too free form, not very crisp because you can't really get a clean fold on the felt...I think if you glued paper to paper on that section and basically just made a felt shell, it would look cleaner...it would also hide all the stitching on the back of the apple.  I'm definitely trying it again that way!

Thanks for looking and have a GrEaT week!!

7 comments:

  1. Oh this is so cute, Thank you so much for entering my “back to school” challenge at ALLSORTS this week, good luck & hope you’ll join us again!
    Hugz Fleur xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I love how you always think "outside of the box" ... or die in this case! Everything you make is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! Thanks for joining us at Wee Memories this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to repurpose that template! This is so cute and I love the felt! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!! Love that felt treat bag! Thanks for playing along with us at Wee Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG....a felt treat bag! I think thi is just adorable!!! Thanks for plaing with the
    Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete